Tuesday, February 19, 2008

ASA Interview with Asia

Tamara:
Tell us about your book 'Divas Have Dilemmas Too'.

Asia:
It's a fiction book that addresses women's issues with a bit of humor without coming off as a self help book. Issues such as weight gain, pursuit of the American dream, balancing family with career, and self discovery are highlighted throughout. The protagonist has at least one characteristic that all women can see within themselves.

Tamara:
What time of day do you prefer to write?

Asia:
Whenever I have a free moment (which is rare) but primarily at night or weekends.

Tamara:
What are some of your writing goals for 2008?

Asia:
To finish my second novel and include some writing techniques that weren't utilized in the first novel.

Tamara:
Did you always envision yourself as a writer?

Asia:
No no no. I always smile when asked this questions because I have always imagined myself doing something technical. There was a period of time when I thought I wanted to be an astronaut. I've always enjoyed the sciences ... so I sort of stumbled on the writer in me. 5. Best and worst experiences in the literary world? Soliciting help from established authors was extremely difficult. There were many slammed doors and a lack of communication. I simply chose to get out there and create my own path instead. My best experiences were when people in the industry chose to sit me down and pour into me their learned lessons and valuable advice.

Tamara:
Are your characters or story lines based on true life experiences?

Asia:
Absolutely. I like to take a combination of things I have experienced and what others have shared with me and wrap them up into one central character. I feel this is critical because then the character(s) become more relatable.

Tamara:
What type of response has your work generated thus far?

Asia:
It's been great because I originally targeted women but I never expected men to appreciate my work. Many men enjoyed reading about what women think about and how they relate to their girlfriends. They also appreciated the fact that I did not do any male bashing (we have enough of that already). Most of the men I know have recommended the book or bought and extra to give away. My female fans truly enjoyed reading the novel because they believed that they had a friend that seemed to mirror the protagonist.

Tamara:
Any advice for aspiring writers?

Asia:
Enjoy the process and simply "do you" (slogan taken from Russell Simmons title). Don't worry about following someone else's path.... create your own.

10 Questions about Asia

1. What was the last book that you read? Lawd Mo Drama

2. How do you spend your free time? Being a mom, enjoying sports, and watching bad reality tv.
3. Where is your hometown? I grew up in Piscataway NJ but now I live in MD.

4. The first thing you think when you wake up in the morning? Hmmmmm, I'm not too sure I think in the morning. I operate on auto pilot because my day starts at 5AM.

5. Favorite genre of music? everything... probably rythym and blues (soulful).

6. Favorite Movie? Hope Floats

7. Do you have a day job? Yes, I am an engineer by day.

8. Where will Asia be in 5 years? Hopefully pursuing my writing career on a full time basis

9. Who are your mentors or people that you admire? My mom and Oprah (I know I know, real original right?)

10. The best advice given to you and who gave it to you? Overall my mother has always given great advice but I also remember a quote from high school.

Quotes from Asia:

"when things get bad enough, you will change. whether it's a good or bad change is up to you, but you will make a change." -mom

"what's right isn't always popular and what's popular isn't always right." -anonymous

Tamara:
What's next for you?

Asia:
I'm working on a novel that many men can identify with. So stay tuned...

No comments: